This is a curry for lazy people. Literally.
It is a fusion of risotto and curry. Therefore I call it curry rice. It is great when you are craving curry but you have no patience to cook the whole sauce. This recipe will take you a bit more than half an hour to make.
It is satisfying, healthy and of course vegan. You can make it with any veggies you want. I opted here for potatoes, onions, carrots, peas and celery. And do not freak out, you won’t taste the celery.
I think it would be better if curry paste was made at home fresh but I am too lazy to do that and I would not be surprised if you were too ;)
1 cup of white rice, any kind you want but I prefer basmati with this dish
1-2 onions, diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small stalk of celery, chopped
4 small/medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
ca. 1 cup of frozen peas (eyeballed would be best)
3-4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp mild curry paste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups of water
50ml coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
1. Add onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic, cinnamon and curry paste into a large pot. Fry on a medium to high heat.
2. After a few minutes when it gets fragrant add a splash of warm water and cover the pot to soften potatoes a little. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile rinse the rice under warm water. Add it to the pan and stir well. Let it fry for another 3 minutes.
4. Add the peas and coconut milk.
5. Add 2 cups of water, cover and simmer until rice is done.
6. Whilst rice is cooking season with salt and pepper and add any other spices to your liking.
I like to serve it with green veggies on the side. Here I used spinach, broccoli, raw padrón peppers and cherry tomatoes.
Peace and love to you all, remember to be kind to every living being and to spread compassion and happiness wherever you go.