Me and mushrooms had a love-hate relationship throughout my entire life. When I was a kid I used to love mushrooms in any form. As I grew older (and went through all weird phases of puberty including a rebel and denial phase) I started to dislike them and even feel sick after eating them! I used to love capricioza pizza and suddenly I felt sick after eating it. Fortunately, this phase of my life is gone now and I enjoy eating all edible kinds of mushrooms. Therefore I made this amazing Creamy Mushroom Pasta with mushrooms and coconut milk.
I was surprised how well mushrooms go with coconut milk, rosemary, thyme and soy sauce. It is a combination that many people do not think of when cooking mushrooms but I wanted to recreate a similar taste to one of a mushroom soup, which is obviously made using cow’s milk aka pus, mucus and hormones. Yuck! To avoid putting this into my body I opted for coconut milk and was surprised how good it turned out.
It is super creamy, rich and satiating. Also, the sweetness of coconut milk complements mushrooms extremely well and rosemary along with thyme and soy sauce tone down the sweetness making the sauce more earthy and savoury. For me it is a perfect combination of sweetness and saltiness.
It is an oil-free recipe although it contains healthy fats from the coconut milk. Because of that it is extremely filling and satiating.
I used corn pasta for this recipe because I prefer to eat as little gluten as possible and I love to indulge on pasta but at the same time feel good afterwards. That’s why gluten-free corn pasta is the pest option because it digests better than wheat and it has the best consistency out of all gluten-free pastas in my opinion.
250ml coconut milk, or more it depends on how much water mushrooms give out
3 bigger onions, red onions give this dish more spice, I used 2 red ones and 1 white
5-6 cloves of garlic
1.5 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
ground black pepper to taste, I added A LOT because I like my food spicy and peppery
ca. 0.5 tsp sugar, add to your liking but I prefer to be not too sweet
1 tbsp soy sauce
squeeze of lemon juice, add little at a time so that it is not too sour
500g corn pasta, if using wheat pasta either use less than 500g or make more sauce
1. Dice mushrooms, onions and garlic. Set mushrooms aside and add onions to a large pan with a bit of water. Sauté until translucent.
2. When onions are ready mince garlic and add to the pan. Sauté until the garlic is ready. You may need to add a bit more water so it does not burn.
3. Add dried spices, stir and sauté until nice and fragrant. Add mushrooms and fry until they turn brown and give out all the water. If they don’t fit all into your pan, don’t worry and just add them in batches.
4. Add coconut milk, sugar, soy sauce and lemon juice. Mix everything together, cover and cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or more if it does not thicken up.
5. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
6. After 10-15 minutes check the sauce and adjust the taste to your liking.
7. Drain the pasta but leave a bit of its water to add to the sauce if it gets too thick. Mix the pasta with the sauce and enjoy!
Peace and love to you all, remember to be kind to every living being and to spread compassion and happiness wherever you go.