This recipe was pretty much an accident to be honest. I wanted something for dinner with lentils and I thought of combining them with mango and tomato somehow. And I have to admit it turned out pretty damn good.
It is sweet from the mango, sour from the tomatoes and lime juice, spicy from the cayenne pepper and creamy from the lentils. It is pretty much an explosion of flavours in your mouth.
I love to pair it with buckwheat. I think that the flavours complement each other extremely well. But you can always eat it with rice or other grains like millet or couscous. Do not forget about a leafy green salad to go with it to aid your digestion and voile!
It is simple and quick. Just how I like it. Just peel and chop tomatoes and mangoes, cook them, cook lentils, add them to the fruit along with some fresh basil, lime juice, tomato paste, black and cayenne pepper and your dinner is served.
I have no idea how to call it but it reminds me a bit of Dahl. I think that a Mango Lentil Dahl would be an appropriate name for this dish. I love how effortless it is and how basically anyone can make this no matter what their level of cooking is ;) So you have no excuse! Another plus is that it is super filling, especially if eaten along with buckwheat because of all the protein in these foods. It is also high carb and low fat of course, but feel free to add some avocado if you wish. Cooking vegan is so so so easy.
3/4 cup of red lentils
1.5 cup of boiling water
2 small mangoes
1 teaspoon tomato concentrate
11 fresh basil leaves or to your liking
a few squirts of black pepper or to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or omit if you do not like spicy food or add more if you prefer
juice of half a lime
1. Bring 1.5 cups of water to a boil. (Do not add salt at this point otherwise lentils would become hard. If you want to, add it at the end of cooking. I did not use any salt in this recipe because I try to limit my salt intake.) When the water is boiling add red lentils and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until there is no water left.
2. Meanwhile, wash the tomatoes and put them in a heat resistant bowl. Pour hot water over them and let sit for a couple of minutes or until you see little cracks in their skin. Remove from the water and peel. Chop them into little cubes and add to the pan without any oil. Turn the heat to high and when they start to boil turn it down to medium-low.
3. While the tomatoes are cooking, wash and chop mangoes into little cubes. Add them to the pan when tomatoes are warm and have released a bunch of water. Cook until mangoes become even more soft and blend nicely with the tomatoes.
4. Chop basil and add to the pan along with the tomato concentrate, lime juice, black and cayenne pepper. Cook until the lentils are done.
5. When red lentils are cooked add them to the pan and mix well. Adjust the taste to your liking and let it sit for a couple of minutes so that the flavours blend together even better. Serve on a bed of your favourite grains with a side salad and voile! Enjoy :)
Peace and love to you all, remember to be kind to every living being and to spread compassion and happiness wherever you go.